Pilothouse Doors

Mark Stypinski sail1946 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 8 21:24:17 EST 1998

Foster,

Our Willard has a simular floorplan although it is a little bigger
(30'.) Our pilot house, including galley,  has one side door (starboard
same as the steering).  Our door slides for and aft. This seems to work
quite well.  Because the boat is small enough, I don't think I would
give up any space for the second door.   I would also agree it would be
difficult to design a front opening door that would either not take on
water or be easy to open in a big sea.  On the other hand exiting in the
center keeps you away from the rail and maybe therefore safer.

Just my thoughts.

Mark & Diane Stypinski
M/V Elsea
30 Willard Vega Voyager Flybridge

>From: "Foster Price" <troonj at es.co.nz>
>To: "Trawler-world" <trawler-world-list at samurai.com>
>Subject: Pilothouse Doors
>Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:34:10 +1300
>
>Hello to all Listees
>
>I'm planning my small trawler/motor-sailor (26') and have reached an
>impasse with the design of the pilothouse.  I'd appreciate the benefit
of
>your experience, any advice you can give would be very much
appreciated.

>The design has an aft cabin (sitting headroom), moving forward the
pilot
>house (standing headroom) has a very small galley then the wheel area.
The