Towing the Dink

Bob & Debbie Huddleston huddlestonb_d at email.msn.com
Mon Mar 23 16:49:40 EST 1998

Great input. Just thought I would add this "humorous" note. This happened on
my sailboat, but I can see it happening from the flybridge of a trawler. We
were at anchor at Point Reyes in about 50 knots of wind and were leaving the
next morning. We removed the motor from our Avon and hooked up the bow
painter to our spinnaker  halyard. My wife  had hold of a line attached to
the stern of the dinghy (I told her to not wrap the line around her hand).
You pretty much know the rest - The wind caught the dinghy, jerked the line
from my wife's hand and took off. It was flying almost horizontally 50 feet
up. Every dip in the wind sent the dinghy toward the deck. We were lucky to
get away without damage or injury. Do I  have to learn EVERYTHING the hard
way?