The Dink/Motor

CAROLANNAT CAROLANNAT at aol.com
Tue Mar 24 06:49:58 EST 1998

Hi:

    We've just come back from Inflatable Xperts in Fort Lauderdale where we
got into discussing the Weaver davit system for carrying the dink on the swim
platform of our DeFever 43. The previous owner towed the 12' Caribe. I had
never considered towing a dink in open water. After reading the discription of
"flying" I never WILL consider towing the tender. I'm very open to learning
from other folks mistakes. On my last boat, a 48' Med Yacht, the Boston Whaler
tender was hoisted on davits on the stern. I hated those davits with a
passion. They were always in the way.  Easy to use but always in the way.

    Last year  we spent several months in the Exumas and saw lots of folks
using the "Weaver system" for soft sided dinks. The 43' DeFever I'm in the
process of purchasing has a 12' Caribe - so off to the store we went to see
what the "weaver system" was all about. The price is wonderful by boating
standards - approx $225.00. We saw folks all over the Bahamas using the Weaver
davit system, particularly the SeaRays.  There was some kind of get together
for Sea Ray owners when we were passing through Nassau and a whole gang of
them from the west coast of Florida were in the Old Nassau Harbor Yacht Club &
Inn, each one with a dink hugged up to it's stern. Also we'd been hanging out
with a couple of DeFevers from Fort Lauderdale down in George Town who both
kept their dinks on the Weaver davits. I figure all these people can't be
wrong, so I'm gonna give it a try. Like one other Listee, after having a
whaler for so many years, I may not like an inflatable, (or a "deflatable" as
whaler owners like to call them)  but I'm gonna give it a try.

          Then, of course, the question came up "What do I do with the motor?"
The Inflatable Experts suggest the St.Croix "little crane" solution - a small
davit that connects to the transom with a manual block & tackle to haul the
outboard up to the rail for stowing.  Then you "weaver" the dink. The arm with
the block & tackle on the davit can then be unsnaped and stowed away; so can
the pole base of the davit too, if you want. It's relatively cheep (boat wise,
of course) at $395.00.  The "little crane" also answers another problem for us
- an easy way to get all the heavy dive equipment up from the swim platform.

     Bob, we'd be very interested in hearing about the Weaver motor tending
system.

Bill Childs
"Cheeseburger"
Deerfield Beach, Florida

P.S. We'll also be attending the TrawlerFest in Stuart - looking forward to
meeting you all - and the Listmeister, of course!