Large Family Passagemaker?

mike fairbairn mikef at ciaccess.com
Sat Mar 28 22:25:51 EST 1998

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BD5A98.771D9C40

I've been lurking for a little while now, but have decided to jump into =
the fray <g>.
=20
We (my wife, Wendy, and our three teenage sons) are planning to take two =
years off and do some long range travelling.  Wendy is a schoolteacher =
by profession, so we plan to home school the boys as we travel.  We plan =
to start (we live in Canada on Lake St Clair) by following the great =
lakes/Illinois river/Mississippi/Gulf route, then either east across the =
Atlantic or west through the Panama canal and across the Pacific.  =
(Doesn't sound too tough if you say it quickly...)
=20
While we have the money to buy a boat and support ourselves during the =
trip, we are not wealthy, so this is definitely not a case of =
money-is-no-object.  To leave enough capital to allow us to live on the =
income, we can spend about $300,000 on a boat, leaving a little for some =
outfitting expenses.  The question is, what is the best boat?
=20
I realize this sounds extravagant, but to preserve peace in the family, =
separate staterooms for the boys is a very popular idea, and has become =
a requirement.  That means something in the 55 foot range, and =
therefore, not new (given the budget).  A Nordhavn 62 would be ideal, =
but <sigh>. =20
=20
I've done a lot of research, read many books (including Voyaging Under =
Power), and I think the ideal boat would be a displacement hull boat =
with single diesel power, keel cooled, and dry exhaust.  Steel hull, if =
possible, or else fibreglass.  Cockpit would be nice, as would a covered =
aft deck.  I'd like a flybridge for tropical cruising.  Fuel for legs of =
2500nm, if possible.  Stabilized, either via active fins or paravanes.  =
Obviously, this is not all possible...
=20
I have considered building a boat, but I am concerned about the time and =
cost involved.
=20
According to McNew and Parker, two boats which seem to meet most of the =
criteria are the Cheoy Lee 55 or the Hatteras 58 LRC.  I have also been =
offered a Hartmann Palmer 61. =20
=20
And thus I find myself humbly seeking the collective wisdom of the =
listees to answer the following:
=20
1) Does anyone know anything about the seaworthiness of these boats?  =
All have more windage than I would like, but as a result they provide =
great accomodations. =20
=20
2) What would be required to prepare one for trans-ocean travel?  I'm =
thinking of plexiglass storm window covers, etc.
=20
3) All are twin diesel, although relatively economical ones (210 Cats on =
the Cheoy Lee, 4-71 Detroits on the Hatt, and 6-71s on the Hartman =
Palmer.)  I've talked to a guy who maintains that single engine running =
(with a shaft lock on the other engine) works well.  Another says run =
them both, but throttle back and the penalty won't be great.  Any =
thoughts?
=20
4) None are keel cooled, but that could be added.  Is it worth the =
trouble and/or expense to do so?
=20
5) Does anyone know anything about Hartman Palmers?  Other than knowing =
the name, I'm not familiar with them at all.  Also: any other boats I =
should consider?
=20
I have lots more questions, but this post is already too long, so I'll =
sign off here, anxiously awaiting the warm glow of enlightenment <g>.
=20
Mike Fairbairn
mikef at ciaccess.com

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01BD5A98.771D9C40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I've been lurking for a little while =
now, but=20
have decided to jump into the fray <g>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We (my wife, Wendy, and our three teenage sons) are =
planning=20
to take two years off and do some long range travelling.  Wendy is =
a=20
schoolteacher by profession, so we plan to home school the boys as we=20
travel.  We plan to start (we live in Canada on Lake St Clair) by =
following=20
the great lakes/Illinois river/Mississippi/Gulf route, then either east =
across=20
the Atlantic or west through the Panama canal and across the =
Pacific. =20
(Doesn't sound too tough if you say it quickly...)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>While we have the money to buy a boat and support =
ourselves=20
during the trip, we are not wealthy, so this is definitely not a case of =

money-is-no-object.  To leave enough capital to allow us to live on =
the=20
income, we can spend about $300,000 on a boat, leaving a little for some =

outfitting expenses.  The question is, what is the best =
boat?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I realize this sounds extravagant, but to preserve =
peace in=20
the family, separate staterooms for the boys is a very popular idea, and =
has=20
become a requirement.  That means something in the 55 foot range, =
and=20
therefore, not new (given the budget).  A Nordhavn 62 would be =
ideal, but=20
<sigh>.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've done a lot of research, read many books =
(including=20
Voyaging Under Power), and I think the ideal boat would be a =
displacement hull=20
boat with single diesel power, keel cooled, and dry exhaust.  Steel =
hull,=20
if possible, or else fibreglass.  Cockpit would be nice, as would a =
covered=20
aft deck.  I'd like a flybridge for tropical cruising.  Fuel =
for legs=20
of 2500nm, if possible.  Stabilized, either via active fins or=20
paravanes.  Obviously, this is not all possible...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I have considered building a boat, =
but I am=20
concerned about the time and cost involved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>According to McNew and Parker, two boats which seem =
to meet=20
most of the criteria are the Cheoy Lee 55 or the Hatteras 58 LRC.  =
I have=20
also been offered a Hartmann Palmer 61.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And thus I find myself humbly seeking the collective =
wisdom of=20
the listees to answer the following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1) Does anyone know anything about the seaworthiness =
of these=20
boats?  All have more windage than I would like, but as a result =
they=20
provide great accomodations.  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2) What would be required to prepare one for =
trans-ocean=20
travel?  I'm thinking of plexiglass storm window covers, =
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3) All are twin diesel, although relatively =
economical ones=20
(210 Cats on the Cheoy Lee, 4-71 Detroits on the Hatt, and 6-71s on the =
Hartman=20
Palmer.)  I've talked to a guy who maintains that single engine =
running=20
(with a shaft lock on the other engine) works well.  Another says =
run them=20
both, but throttle back and the penalty won't be great.  Any=20
thoughts?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4) None are keel cooled, but that could be =
added.  Is it=20
worth the trouble and/or expense to do so?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>5) Does anyone know anything about Hartman =
Palmers? =20
Other than knowing the name, I'm not familiar with them at all.  =
Also: any=20
other boats I should consider?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have lots more questions, but this post is already =
too long,=20
so I'll sign off here, anxiously awaiting the warm glow of enlightenment =

<g>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mike Fairbairn</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mikef at ciaccess.com">mikef at ciaccess.com</A></FONT></DIV></D=