T&T: Spring Lube & Filter Change Questions

Bob Peterson bob at peterson.org
Mon Apr 2 20:25:38 EDT 2007

Garrett,

Whether or not you have to prime ("bleed") the engines depends on how
scrupulously you try to prevent it.  I had to bleed one of my Cummins
6BTA5.9's when I changed oil and Racors, but not the other.  I removed the
old filter and turned the petcock to let the Racor drain completely,
disassembled the Racor and totally cleaned out the black skeleton junk left
behind.  I put the new filter in and then topped off the filter as high as I
dared, then put the top cover on.  Did the same for the secondarys.

I had to bleed the first engine, but not the second, it started right up.  I
think that was because it took me a bit longer to do the first one, and
during that time, I suspect oil drained down the line beyond sight and it
had quite a bit of air in it.  I did the second engine in less time and
perhaps that has something to do with why it didn't require bleeding, less
time for the diesel to drain back into the switching manifold.

Since that first time, I've never had to bleed again.  I do make it a point
to close off all fuel selector valves in the manifold to prevent any
back-drain into the fuel tank.  I think that helps.

I have a different transmission but it calls for the same oil as yours.  I
corresponded with the manufacturer and asked if I could use the same Chevron
Delo 400 30-40 that Cummins calls for my 6BTA5.9's in their transmission.
They said yes.

Bob Peterson
"Lopaka Nane"
47' Lien Hwa CPMY