T&T: Jabsco Manual Head Model 29090-2000 vs. Raritan PH II

Peggie Hall peggie.hall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:42:11 EDT 2007

GARY RITZMAN wrote:

> Re the
> Raritan PH II, would the mounting bolt hole pattern be the same as the
> Jabsco?

Nope, but it's not a big deal to drill new ones (you'll be able to use
at least one of the existing holes), fill the the unused with epoxy and
touch up any that show with a little paint to match the head sole.

> Might the three hoses line up pretty close without major
> repairs?

3 hoses? Most toilets only have 2--intake and discharge.  If you're
counting the intake vented loop, that's just a swap out. The discharge
is too unless your Jabsco has a 1" discharge instead of the standard
1.5".  The only real difference is the intake fitting...it's on the
front of the PH II pump, which may require splicing a few inches of hose
into the intake line.

> I would certainly consider this if it was a relatively easy
> swap-out.

Is it as easy no-brainer as changing a lightbulb?  No. It'll take a
little planning and a couple of hours of work. But only once and well
worth the effort.

What makes the PH II so much better than any other toilet in its price
range?  Here's how Vic Willman at Raritan explained it to me:

The diameter of the piston of the PHII is 2 1/2 inches. The diameter of
the piston of most other manual toilets is 1 3/4". Now this doesn't
sound like much of a difference, but given the same length of stroke up
and down, for demonstration purposes we'll say 2 1/2 inches for each
head that we're considering. When you calculate the cubic inch capacity
(displacement) of the PHII with a 2 1/2" diameter piston, it comes out
to a little over 12 cubic inches. If you do the same calculation for a
pump with a 1 3/4" diameter piston, with the same 2 1/2" stroke, the
cubic inch capacity is only 6 cubic inches. So, to put that all into
English, the PHII will pump twice as much per stroke, as it's
competitors will. Adding the lever-type handle, there isn't as much
actual effort required. So, in a nutshell, you only have to pump half as
many times to flush it, and your arm doesn't get as tired. Plus, with
the lever handle, you don't have to bend over as far, with your nose
practically in the bowl, while you're pumping it.

--
Peggie