T&T: Waypoints

Steve Sipe lists at maerin.net
Thu Jul 4 16:04:43 EDT 2019

What's the objective?
What are the parameters of the travel, & why do you need 800 nm worth of
waypoints?
If you're setting waypoints, that implies use of a chartplotter. If your
waypoints are long distances apart, your chartplotter or nav program
will constantly monitor and report your cross track error (XTE), so
moving waypoints closer doesn't provide any benefit. Besides, unless
you're traveling a straight line across open ocean, your waypoints will
be determined by course changes needed to avoid obstacles, not an
arbitrary distance from the previous one. If you're running a straight
line from point A to point B 800 miles away, then you only need those
two points. The chartplotter/nav program will do the rest. If you're
using an AP, then between the AP and the nav program, you should stay
within feet of the rhumb line your nav program has laid out between the
waypoints.
What am I missing?
-------
Steve Sipe