T&T: Mobile WiFi

Steve Sipe lists at maerin.net
Fri Jul 5 08:01:58 EDT 2019

Steve,

I'm with you on the marina wifi, but I'd have to disagree that most are
not secure, they're just poor. Many marina wifi setups use single point
connections that are attempting to handle too many clients demanding too
much bandwidth, mostly using 2.4Ghz signal, and a lot of those clients
are using boosters that are creating a noisy environment. It's further
complicated by the inherent environment of the marina with so much metal
sticking up in the air to obstruct a clear signal. Getting wifi into a
boat is an uphill battle. OnSpot is one exception. It works. Having a
5Ghz radio will immensely improve throughput, and that's what counts.
Yes, I can get a great 2.4G signal, but it's limited in bandwidth, so
even though the signal is good, I still get a lousy "connection". 5G is
far better at connecting multiple clients and reducing noise, but it has
a shorter range. That's actually a benefit since it limits connection
from marginal signal. But typically 5-10 times the throughput. I'll see
20-30 mb/s on a 5G wifi compared to single digits or less on a 2.4G
connection. Most marina wifi is essentially useless except as a
marketing tool.

We use a combination of a Pepwave surflink SOHO router with a Mikrotik
dual wifi radio (2.4/5Ghz), and a 4G modem that connects to Verizon
LTE.  This gives us the option to use any marina wifi, has the advantage
of 5G which is a huge improvement, and the 4G LTE provides internet most
any other time wifi isn't available. I also use an external antenna for
wifi as well as cellular, and a cellular amplifier. The cellular amp is
a Wilson Sleek 3g/4g cradle type. Although it requires placing the cell
phone or 4G/LTE modem in the cradle, it is effective. I have read too
many reports of problems with the automotive repeater type amps to want
to attempt it.  The cellular amp is very effective, it typically makes
the difference between connecting vs. "no signal". I have gone through
three of the Ubiquiti Bullet radios, they seem to last about 18 months.
My setup locates the Bullet inside, I have a cabled connection to the
wifi antenna, but direct connection is superior. The Mikrotik radio can
be more complicated to set up, but far more versatile. Island Time PC
has a pre-set system that's good, but doesn't have AFAIK the 3G/4G
option.  Pepwave also offers a Surf on the Go router that's wireless
only, e.g. no ethernet ports for wired LAN. It doesn't do 5G wifi, so it
has some limitations in that regard, thus it is about end of life. But
it will use a 4G/LTE USB modem and create a hotspot on board. I got one
for a boat neighbor and it does a great job.

The USB modem (aka mifi) is effective, but if you can include a cellular
amp, you'll improve your connection capability. In the Bahamas, we used
the cellular amp to great advantage. Even in the Exumas there was LTE in
most locations. If you can get within 5 miles of a tower, you can
generally get LTE coverage.

It's a jungle trying to navigate the options of on board internet. Carry
a machete. <G>
-------
Steve Sipe
Solo 4303 /Maerin/