T&T: Stanadyne Additive

Richard Cook richardcook257 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:58:56 EDT 2020

My case is rather different from Rudy's.

Based initially on recommendation from Volvo techs and Cummins hot rod
techs, I've been using Stanadyne PF in my Volvo 44 powered 26' cruiser,
Cummins ISB powered truck, and Cummins 6BTA powered Nordic Tug.

Over the last 21 years, I've put 6500 hours on the Volvo 44, towed the
12,000lb boat/trailer some 80,000 miles, and put 3100 hours on the NT's
Cummins.  So I use a lot more fuel than some.

Stanadyne PF in a case of 6 half gallons goes for $190, about 1/4 the
cost per gallon treated vs the small bottles.  Maybe 13 cents/gallon.  I
use about one case per year.

I have no direct evidence of how well it takes care of the
injectors/pumps, but all three engines are still running very well, with
no service to their injection systems.  With Stanadyne, the truck
clearly runs smoother/quieter and with less smoke, at least at startup.
Feels like smoother and slightly more power when accelerating too.

For me it seems a small and probably worthwhile additional cost.

Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257)